Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Baby Signs

Using signs to talk to your baby

After a long time I am posting in this blog. Having two blogs is little hard to manage for me, though I love blogging in both the blogs. I have decided to post at least two to three posts a month in this blog:) Recently I went to the library and was checking some books related to babies. I came through baby signs and I was interested to read more about it. To start with I took a video, which got me into the basics of “Baby signs”. There is a famous book on “Baby Signs” written by Linda Acredolo, Susan Goodwyn. I think these books are also available in the local Libraries. Those who are interested to know about your baby signs I would recommend to read this book. Baby Signs helps babies to use simple, easy-to-do gestures for communicating with their parents and caregivers. These gestures or “signs” represent an item or concept, like “cat,” “eat,” or “all gone.” Using signs gives babies a way to “talk” with their parents, before they can talk. Babies can communicate about the world around them, long before they have mastered their verbal speaking skills! This also promotes language development, cognitive skills, and promotes parent-child bond. Babies and toddlers often use signs as a natural part of the communication process. Many babies know how to wave “bye-bye” or use a headshake to mean “no.” Usually the baby signs starts from Eight months – 12 months, and for some children it would take till 15 months – 18 months. If you are using some baby signs to your children try to repeat the signs more often, since repeating is the key to success. This will be challenging for both parents as well as the babies to involve in the process of sign language. Here are few pictures of Baby signs:)


Signs of Book
Signs of Please


Signs of Hat

Signs of "I am all finished"
Signs of "I am done"
Signs of " all gone "
Signs of Hurt
Signs of Sleep
Signs of more " I want more"

Signs of Fish

Signs of Daddy

Signs of Baby Cradle
Signs of "I want more milk"

2 Comments:

Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Wow nice article priya. It surely is a wonderful stage when babies start to communicate by signs. After reading ur article i was just thinking when my daughter vidhya started to make signs..the first one was bye bye,then hi fi....very nice to watch them do it. The pictures of the babies are soooo cute!!!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hey Prema thanks for dropping by.....So many new stuffs have come to monitor the babies....people are finding new stuffs everyday---- all these were not there when we grew up:)

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home